Recipe: Chocolate Saucepan Cookies, a.k.a. Cow Patties
This is one of my mom’s recipes. I can’t even guess how many times she made these chocolatey wonders for my brother, sister and I when we were growing up.
They are amazingly simple, yummy and cheap to make and I love making them for my own family.
One caution for those that like to change recipes and use what you have (as I do!) – you can’t substitute anything for the instant oats or the cookies won’t set properly and you’ll have a gooey mess.
better known as “Cow Patties” or “Mud Cookies”
by my mom, Leona
8 tbs (one stick) butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
4 tbs bakers cocoa
3 cups quick-cooking oats (also called instant oats)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter (optional…extra yummy with crunchy!)
In a medium saucepan, bring butter, milk, sugar and coca to a boil. Boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and immediately add oats, vanilla and peanut butter. Stir well. Drop by 1/4 cup-fulls on to wax paper (an ice cream scoop works well).
Allow to cool completely. The cookies will get firm and lose their shine as they cool.
Store in an airtight container. Try not to eat too many…or you’ll get a tummy ache!
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)