Free Patterns: All About Sewing, Revisited

September 19, 2011

sewing machine spool of thread

button jar
These three sewing-themed blocks were some of my first ever paper pieced blocks to draft. I had just started designing my own patterns and really wanted to make something that said “sewing.” I had seen similar blocks, of course. Jars and spools are pretty classic when it comes to quilting, but having just learned to draft, I wanted to draw my own versions.

The original pattern are six or seven years old, and have gotten their first revamp in a long, long time. Compare the original version of the Sewing Machine with the new version, and you can really see how much cleaner and easier to read my patterns have become over the years. It’s cool to me to have this documented evidence of my own evolution.

Sewing Themed Wall Hanging Front

Sewing Themed Wall Hanging: Donated to a JDRF fundraising auction several years ago

As time goes by, I plan to update as many of my older patterns as possible. Who knows, maybe even some of those patterns that have been locked away in the Sewhooked Vault will see the light of day again!

I hope you enjoy these patterns for what they are: classic, simple and representative of the craft we love!

One Layout, Two Styles

Classic Sewing, Revisited Classic Sewing, Revisited

Trying out different fabrics in EQ7.

Free Patterns:

5″ Classic Sewing Machine

5″ Classic Spool

5″ Classic Jar

Lots more on the free pattern page!

Spool Quilt

A quilt layout created in EQ7  using just the Classic Spool pattern.

You still have time to comment and be entered to win a free copy of Polaroid My Memories Suite! Can’t wait for the drawing? Copy and paste STMMMS23344 to get $10 off the My Memories Software Suite. I’ll be announcing the winner on Wednesday!

Add your Sewhooked-related photos to my flickr group and you might be featured in a future post!

Sewhooked Shop | FB | SHFB | Flickr | Twitter

1. Aalia permalink
    September 19, 2011 15:59

Why, Jennifer, why do you keep making my to-sew list longer?

Just printed all three! :D

• September 19, 2011 17:16

Enabling is just one of the many services that I offer! ;)

2. Queenmlv permalink
    September 20, 2011 14:22

Just Beautiful! I love the classics!

3. Carol permalink
    May 9, 2012 10:20

HI Jennifer,
    I would like to know where can I get the classic sewing machine (paper piecing) pattern. I am in a quilting guild and some of the quilters would be interested making that pattern. I look forward hearing from you.
    Best Regards,
    Carol

• May 11, 2012 22:03

Hi Carol, the link to the sewing machine pattern is in the post. You can get to it by clicking right here. I’d love to see if you and any of your fellow guild members make it!

• Carol Brunet Mongeau permalink
        May 11, 2012 22:09

Hi Jennifer,
        Thank you for responding to my email. I have printed the classic sewing machine pattern what I mean is that would it be possible please to have the instructions for what size is the wallhanging once finished, also do you enlarge the pattern for the finished of the size of the wallhanging. I need more explanations to be able to understand the pattern. Your cooperation would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
        Carol Brunet Mongeau
        carolelbrunet@yahoo.com

4. May 11, 2012 22:24

Oh, I see what you mean! I did not follow a specific pattern for the wall hangings, but I’m happy to explain as best I can.

Each paper pieced block is made as printed.

After squaring up each block to 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″, I added sashing, which I believe was 2 1/2″ wide.

If you like the version with the cornerstones, you would cut 10 – 2 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ strips plus 8 – 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ squares to create the sashing as shown.

I sure hope that helps!

• Carol Brunet Mongeau permalink
      May 12, 2012 08:05

Thank you Jennifer! I will try to do as said although I would like to enlarge those blocks to possibly make a bigger wallhanging of only the sewing machine. I can do the paper piecing no problem but to make a design unfortunately I have not mastered that skill. If you can help with that I really would appreciate it. Again thank you I really appreciate your help. Carol

5. janet permalink
    October 21, 2013 15:46

what are the dimensions of the pieces for the completed block.. i find them no where..