Harry Potter, A Love Story

October 2, 2011

The Project of Doom

Once upon the time, there was a girl that loved Harry Potter.

I don’t mean that she loved The Boy Who Lived. She did, of course, but most of all, she loved his story.

His story captured the world. It gave grown men and women the urge to jump on broomsticks and wear robes. It turned children that did not care for books into avid readers. His story told us that there is a place for everyone and that the brave of heart can also be clever and loyal, and that good will, in the end, conquer evil.

Now, back to the girl.

To show her love for Harry, the girl designed and shared hundreds of quilt patterns about Harry’s adventures. Eventually, others that loved Harry wanted to do the same, and a community grew up around their mutual love of The Boy Who Lived.

After many, many years of waiting with bated breath and following every word of his story, Harry did, finally, conquer Voldemort and the story came to an end.

The girl continued to quilt and to share, but in the back of her mind, there was an idea. A wonderful, scary, huge idea.

It sat and percolated for almost eight years.

Then, one day, she started drawing. Pattern after pattern emerged, and she realized that the joy of this project must be shared with others like her. Somewhere during the creative process, this same girl realized that this project, this quilt, would be the last big Harry Potter project she would take on. This made her both happy and sad, so she gave this very happy project an ominous name.

The Project of Doom.

Imagine the girl’s surprise and joy when she realized that others really did want to share in the adventure of this, her last big Harry Potter project!

It would be months of choosing just the right fabrics, sharing ideas, and making new friends.

Months of stitching, and waiting, and anticipation.

She had no idea, at the beginning how big or how wonderful it all would be or how many talented, wonderful new people she would meet as a result.

Project of Doom - All the blocks embroidered

The Project of DoomThe Project of Doom, A Harry Potter Block of the Month

January – August, 2011

Hand embroidery completed September 2011

Top Pieced October 1, 2011.

The Project of Doom

And now, for those that started the journey together in January, this adventure has ended. For others, it is only beginning.

For the girl? She will be forever grateful to those that joined her in the journey, but most especially to Harry, his friends, and the adventures he shared with us.

Learn more about The Project of Doom

New for 2013 – Get all 30 patterns plus finishing instructions in one zip file on Craftsy!

The Project of Doom was conceived by, designed, written and presented by Jennifer Ofenstein through Harry Potter Paper Piecing.

All patterns are free for personal and non-profit use, and for the love of Harry Potter.

You can find all Project of Doom patterns and instructions archived right here on Sewhooked and on my fandom quilting site, Fandom In Stitches.

Sewhooked Shop | FB | SHFB | Flickr | Twitter

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1. October 2, 2011 15:03

This looks amazing, Jennifer!

• October 2, 2011 16:08

Thanks! I’m ridiculously happy about having the top all together!

2. auntypsycho permalink
    October 2, 2011 15:13

WOW!!! It looks fantastical !! I have one block left to do . the one with Trevor on it .. can’t find the greens I like to go in it . I have all the others done :D

• October 2, 2011 16:09

You’re so close! I can’t wait to see after you’re all done. :)

3. October 2, 2011 16:01

Just fabulous! What a great quilt and a wonderful adventure.

4. Aalia permalink
    October 2, 2011 17:39

I love all the photos! What a great documentation of a monumental achievement! (I had a feeling you might beat your deadline on this one….) :)

• October 2, 2011 17:42

Once I got started piecing the blocks together, it was hard to stop! I might have shed a tear or two at the end…

5. October 2, 2011 19:20

Jennifer,
    It’s awesome!!! I have a long way to go, but love seeing yours almost finished–gives me encouragement! What a truly wonderful quilt! (great titles–now I’ll have to come up with some for mine!)
    Sally

6. October 2, 2011 20:04

It looks fantastic. I’m so glad I got to be around while it was happening. This PoD is on my list of things to do some day. Your encouragement to others has been wonderful. Thank you for letting us follow you on this journey.

• October 3, 2011 08:09

I do hope you get to it some day. You know I’ll be just a click away when you get to it!

7. Linda (woozelmom) permalink
    October 2, 2011 20:37

It was a wonderful journey taken with friends :0) Truly magical. Love your story and your quilt is just awesome!!! I really loved seeing your titles. They are very whimsical :0)

• October 3, 2011 08:10

Thanks for coming along for the ride and congrats on being our big winner! :)

8. October 3, 2011 04:36

What a fabulous quilt Jennifer. It is just amazing.

9. Paige permalink
    October 3, 2011 06:04

Yay Jen! It’s beautiful!!! The titles are so fun and your embroidery is really nice.

I noticed you have muslin on the back of your blocks. Can I ask at what point did you add the muslin? Was it for the embroidery step? It will add durability to the quilt!

• October 3, 2011 08:12

I learned so much working on the embroidery. It’s such a satisfying thing to do.

You’re exactly right about the muslin. It’s main purpose is to keep the thread from showing through the front of the blocks, but it has the added benefit of adding an extra layer for all those seams! It’s heavy, but will be lovely and durable once it’s quilted.

10. Mariarose permalink
    October 3, 2011 07:07

Hey GIRL!
    Thank you so much for the Project of Doom.

• October 3, 2011 08:12

It has really been my pleasure! I can never thank you all enough for playing along with me!

11. Robin_bird2 permalink
    October 4, 2011 11:00

Your quilt top is BEAUTIFUL! thanks for taking us along on your fantastic journey! I have three blocks left (for some reason Trevor is holding me up), but my goal is to be done by the end of the year. Seeing all of these beautiful finished tops gives me the kick in the bum I need to get going!

• October 4, 2011 11:20

Thanks so much, Robin! It has been such an inspiration to me to get to work on this project both with and for all of you. Keep at it, you’ll get there.

12. October 25, 2011 08:42

Oh my gosh. I’m just now stumbling onto your websites, and I am completely enraptured. I must, must make time to start an HP quilt for myself. Beautiful work.

• October 25, 2011 09:04

Thank you, I hope you do! Quilting Harry Potter had been one of the best experiences of my life. :)

13. June 5, 2012 14:20

incredible quilt! LOVE it!