Recycle an Old Tire…Into a Tire Swing!
- old tire
- 3 large eye bolts with nuts
- 6 large washers (big enough for the bolt to go through)
- 4 Quick Links (rated for enough weight to hold the tire swing + kids)
- 3 pieces of chain, approximately 3′ long (rated for enough weight for a tire swing + kids)
- chain to attach tire swing to tree (*see note below)
- drill with large (3/4″ – 1″) bit
- safety glasses
Mark three spots on the tire with chalk, equal distance apart. Wearing the safety goggles, drill holes in each spot.
On the opposite side of the tire, drill 3 or more holes. These are for drainage, so they don’t need to be as evenly spaced.
Add the Quick Link to one end of a 3′ piece of chain. Attach to the eye bolt. Repeat for each eye bolt.
*Please note: The length and size of the chain will depend on the height of your tree. My swing is hanging from about 8′ of chain attached to the tree with a plastic coated heavy-duty chain and a Quick Link.