I’ve been busy updating all of my original patterns to include new options, a pattern scale and other useful information not included in the 2011 versions. My fabulous friend and pattern tester, The Great Princess Amber, has tested each and every pattern for me, too. (She’s just awesome like that!).
For those of you that want to play along, you can start fresh with the newly updated 2015 versions, or pull out your unfinished Project of Doom and get it done! There is a newly updated pattern every week on Fandom In Stitches and the 2011 versions of the patterns will continue to be available.
You can find all of my (entirely free!) Harry Potter patterns archived right here on Sewhooked.
In addition to all this, I’ll be making not one, but two, Project of Doom quilts this year! My 2011 quilt turned into an accidental show piece and I love to show it off, but I don’t use it.
These are my first four blocks, to be included in the quilt I’m making for myself. These are made entirely out of Northcott fabrics. The background is Artisan Shimmer and all of my books, objects, etc. are made out of Stonehenge. Yum!
Click on any of the images below to open the pattern in a new tab.
Week One included an updated version of the original pattern, as well as this slightly more complex base for the Crystal Ball.
Week 2 was very minimally changed. It’s what I think of as a “filler” block, intended to add books to the shelf and not overwhelm the design with too many objects.
Week 3 includes two new options, a Dark Mark bookcover (see below) and the Deathly Hallows symbol substituted for the original potion bottle. I couldn’t resist making the new version for my new PoD!
Week 3, original (updated!) version on the Left, Dark Mark book cover version on the right.
Week 4 has changed very little, but includes two new variations (see below). The primary change in this block are the way the glasses are incorporated in the block. They are now a 5″ (finished) square so that another 5″ design can be substituted if desired. I still love the original head-one version of Harry’s Glasses, so made it for my own quilt.
Week 4 Variations, Harry’s Glasses, side perspective on the Left, The Hand of Glory on the Right.
New to Sewhooked? The Project of Doom is a quilt I designed and shared as a mystery quilt in 2011. Here it is at the Austin Area Quilt Guild’s Show in 2012!
In 2010, I spent hundreds of hours in my then-newly acquired EQ7 lovingly designing and arranging the blocks before ever releasing a single pattern so that the quilt would have flow, negative space and have lots of books without having too many.
The original quilt along ran from January – August, 2011 on Harry Potter Paper Piecing.
My inspiration was a mural I painted for my daughter. I drew the original design in chalk and then painted entirely free-hand (you can tell I didn’t even use a ruler on the shelves…oops!). This mural has been part of my daughter’s bedroom since 2003! While I didn’t copy it exactly for The Project of Doom, I did use it for my inspiration and you can see elements in the quilt that are identical to the original!
I hope you’ll stop by Fandom In Stitches and join us for the Harry Potter Quilt Along featuring The Project of Doom. Week 5’s updated pattern posts this coming Wednesday…and we’ll have the entire first row complete!
Be sure to share photos of projects made from my patterns with the Sewhooked flickr group for a chance to win the monthly Sewhooked prize. The January winner will receive free copies of two of my block patterns, Cross My Hearts and Cupid’s Arrow! WINNER TO BE ANNOUNCED TOMORROW!
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links. Thank you for your support. ♥