The following Talk to Me Tuesday is a much-watch, with Cat’s young daughter Tara being the star of this Food Network worthy show!
As you probably noticed in her video, Cat is in Australia, so I’ve made a few recipe notations for my American friends. You’ll find those in italics. Her recipe is the bold text.
- 2 cups SR Flour – Self Rising- don’t have any? You can make it! I have also successfully used Pillsbury Gluten Free flour blend.
- ¾ cup Sugar – This cake is sweet, but not super sweet. If you prefer sweeter, bump your sugar up to 1 cup.
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice (or Chinese 5 spice) – Mixed Spice can be hard to come by in the U.S., but you can buy it here if you’d like to try it. In a pinch, you can use Pumpkin Pie Spice or make your own Mixed Spice (below).
- 1 pinch bicarb soda – baking soda
- 3-4 cups mashed pumpkin (approx. ½ large pumpkin) – Use a pie pumpkin or you can use a 29oz can of Libby’s pumpkin.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil/melted butter
Sift dry ingredients into bowl and add remaining ingredients.
Mix well and spoon into loaf tin or muffin tins.
Bake for 30-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. I cooked 50 minutes at 350F, but I started checking around 40 minutes.
Optional: sprinkle powdered sugar on top or make a powdered sugar glaze with 1 cup of powdered sugar and 3 TBS of milk. Glaze when cooled.
There are LOTS Of recipes for Mixed Spice online. Use whatever works best for you. This is the version I currently have in my pantry.
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbs ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
Store in a container with a tight lid. Use as needed. This also makes a fantastic addition to butternut squash and sweet potatoes!
Here’s another recipe from BBC’s Good Food. Do you have a Mixed Spice recipe? I’d love to know what it is!