Paper Piecing: Free Patterns Around the Web

November 24, 2008

sewing machine
free patterns available here

Oh, paper piecing, how do I love thee, let me count the ways…

Paper piecing (or foundation piecing) is the medium that has set my art free.  It has only happened once or twice (so far!) that I have been defeated my efforts to create a new pattern.  For the most part, I can look at an image and see the pattern inside it.  It’s something that makes me giddy, connected to myself in a way I never knew before, gloriously happy, excited and (occasionally) frustrated all at once.

It’s what I do most, both making and designing blocks.  I regularly post free patterns on Sewhooked and Fandom In Stitches.  Even so, I am far from being the only free resource online.

I have lots of paper piecing books in my crafty library as well as inexpensive patterns by independent designers much like myself.

If you’re just starting or maybe a little pinched in the pocket, free patterns can get you sewing and keep you sewing!

Support Sewhooked, visit my Shop!

Here are some great free pattern resources.  If I’ve missed one of your favorites or you find a broken link, please leave a comment below.

Fandom In Stitches – Multi-Fandom quilt patterns designed by fans, for fans

Artisania – Gnomes and mushrooms and Halloween, oh my! (many of Sonja’s patterns are available on the Free Quilt Pattern page here at Sewhooked).

Liljabs – free patterns from friend and fellow designer Lilja, many of which are also available on Fandom In Stitches.

Free Patterns from Carol Doak – geometrical beauties by the Queen of Paper Piecing.

Block Centrallots of cute patterns, including books to make a bookcase quilt.

Quiltmaker has a number of free paper pieced patterns in their directory.  Search “paper pieced.”

Equilters has a number of paper pieced patterns that are spread throughout the site’s pages

Ulas Free Patterns – lovely patterns including a variety of New York Beauty Blocks, various animals, Coat of Arms and more

Paper Panache

free patterns

Winnowing by Christine Thresh (free patterns are at the bottom) – Support A Cause Ribbons, flags, chicks and more

Ginger’s Paper Pieced Patterns – Cats, Christmas and more

PC Piecers Free Patterns – great patterns from Nautical to Holiday themed

Quilter’s Cache, the motherload for free quilt patterns, has a number of free paper pieced patterns for whole quilts and individual blocks.  You’ll need to do a little seek and find through the directory to find the whole-quilt patterns.

Quilt design’s BOM - some free patterns, including a lovely log cabin project

The Quilted Snail – a nice sized collection with a large variety of blocks

Free Paper Pieced Patterns from Patchpieces - paper pieced patterns and projects

Quilt dot com – a nice collection of beginner blocks

Four Twin Sisters has a number of free paper pieced patterns, but they do not have their own directory.  Look for the patterns marked “paper pieced”

Piece By Number – Geometrics, plants and animals and more

Regina Grewe – a wonderful site with an ever changing collection of free patterns.

Victoriana Quilt Designs, specifically the Ocean Waves quilt pattern.

Quiltiger - a variety of free paper pieced patterns

Compuquilt – a variety of free patterns, many of them paper pieced.

Kitten’s Mittens – a variety of  patterns, including a complete Kanji alphabet

Charise Creates – check the sidebar under “Complimentary Patterns”

Whims and Fancies – fun fandom patterns, British themed and more

Ruthie Quilts - free wonky houses

If you’re just starting and would like to learn paper piecing, check out my

Step by Step Tutorial!

Add your Sewhooked photos to my flickr group and you might be featured in a future post!

Shop | FB | SHFB | Flickr | Twitter

updated February 2012

1. November 25, 2008 04:00

Thank you so much for these!

2. Ana Lopes permalink
    November 26, 2008 15:37

Thank you.
    you had some sites I have never seen.
    Thank you.
    Ana

3. March 6, 2009 15:46

Oh, what a wonderful load of sites to look through and browse and have fun with. :D This is great! Thank you.

Hugs,
    Melinda

• March 6, 2009 16:56

It’s absolutely my pleasure! I hope you find loads of great patterns to try out.

4. Lara permalink
    October 9, 2011 16:37

Please help! I am trying to find a pattern for a pricess crown for my little girl. I have look everywhere and cannot find anything.

5. Micheline permalink
    December 1, 2012 11:13

this is the best site i ever looked at, so much to browse from..thanks so much.

6. December 16, 2012 18:04

Thanks for compiling the list! Found some great designers I have never seen before!

7. Tina Breese permalink
    January 5, 2013 01:50

Loving the Harry Potter Alphabet, except it’s very time consuming! The Kanji Alphabet is not anywhere to be found. Dang…

8. Donna Phelps permalink
    April 29, 2013 22:57

So Happy for you, Jennifer. Congrats on having your block showcased in 100 Blocks. My question is: will you be running the “Knock Our Socks Off” design contest again this summer? Hope so.

9. April 30, 2013 09:23

I seldom write remarks, but I looked through
    some responses on this page Paper Piecing: Free Patterns Around
    the Web | Sewhooked. I do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Is it just me or do a few of these comments look as if they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites, I would like to keep up with you. Would you list of all of your social community pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

10. May 13, 2013 21:29

hello, i have made quite a few of your lovely patterns, but am wanting some help with a completely separate paper pieced project, that i would dearly love to do for d/h. however i have no idea how to even dream of making a pattern and was wondering if somebody on this site would be able to help me asap. i dont mind paying for your services and could forward a photo to show what i am wanting to do. help me please. loisfromdownunder

11. Eileen Menke permalink
    September 13, 2013 08:58

I am looking for a paper pieced rooster pattern.

12. Patricia Johnson permalink
    August 4, 2014 08:32

I am looking for a dr Seuss theme paper piecing pattern. Got any suggestion?