Posts on this blog post contain affiliate links. Thank you for your support. ♥
Welcome back to our Paper Piecing Vintage Quilt Along (#PPV2017)!
A reminder of how this works:
PPV was my 2014 Block of the Month. This project was inspired by old-fashioned, hand-pieced quilt blocks. Because I LOVE paper piecing, I couldn’t help but create my own versions of traditional patterns I love using my favorite technique.
Quilting along with us is easy! The Paper Piecing Vintage quilt pattern already exists, so you don’t have to anxiously await each pattern to be released.
We’re making this quilt together, one block at a time, as a group. We’ll be making two blocks a month. I’ll prompt you on the second and fourth Monday to remind you which block to work on next. With a little work and a little luck, we’ll have a finished quilt top by the end of June!
Individual blocks available by popular demand! If you want to make just one or two blocks from the set, I am releasing these patterns individually as we go. (Link to purchase Block 5 below.)
The following is the May 2014 block (Block 5 for us) made for my 1930’s vintage fabric-inspired version of this quilt (above).
All patterns for PPV are 6″ & 12″ (w/o seam allowance). The size you make is up to you.
The vintage version (above) is from my 2014 PPV.
My 2017 PPV Halloween Quilt Block
I’ve been saving these sweet and happy ghosts just for this block.
Because you know… haunted house! ♥
I love how fun each Halloween-themed block is coming out.
Now, to get back to cutting out piano keys so I don’t have to do them all in June!
This is my color inspiration, created in EQ (subject to change as I quilt along!).
Since I’m using a lot of Halloween scraps, I’m also cutting the piano keys as I go from the leftover fabrics from each block. It will be a huge time saver at the end!
If you’d like to do a little planning, too, there is a coloring page included in the complete pattern on page 64.
Get the complete Paper Piecing Vintage pattern for $10 from…
What do you get for your $10?
- Updated for 2017
- 12 vintage-inspired block of the month designs (6″ & 12″ paper pieced patterns included)
- piecing instructions for each block
- 3 bonus patterns (2 available only in the set!)
- layout instructions for two quilt sizes using all 12 blocks (in either 6″ or 12″)
- Bonus instructions for the optional piano key border (shown).
- 12″ blocks with 2″ sashing – 44″ x 58″ (with bonus border – 56″ x 70″)
- 6″ blocks with 2″ sashing – 26″ x 34″ (with bonus border – 32″ x 40″)
Fabric Amounts needed for this project (this information is also in the BOM pattern):
For 12″ blocks:
- 1 1/2 yards Background Fabric
- 1 1/4 yards Color 1 Fabric
- 1 1/4″ yards Color 2 Fabric
- 1 1/2 yards Sashing Fabric (for 2″ sashing), optional
- 1 1/3 yards (total) of multiple fabrics for optional piano key border (divide the amount across the number of fabrics you wish to use)
For 6″ blocks:
- 3/4 yards Background Fabric
- 1/2 yard Color 1 Fabric
- 1/2 yard Color 2 Fabric
- 1/2 yard Sashing fabric (for 2″ sashing), optional
- 3/4 yards (total) of multiple fabrics for optional piano key border (divide the amount across the number of fabrics you wish to use)
Want to connect with other quilters working on Paper Piecing Vintage? Join the Sewhooked Facebook Group for community, support & prizes! I’ll be there, as will my awesome pattern tester Amber and many friends of Sewhooked. We’ll answer your questions and nudge you along if you need it. Joining the group is not required to quilt along.
Happy sewing! Let me know how it goes for you and I’ll see you tomorrow for Talk to Me Tuesday!