Paper Piecing: Drawing a Patchy Heart

May 11, 2009

patchy heartPatchy Heart Pattern

One of the most constant requests I’ve had over the years is for a video tutorial showing how I design paper pieced patterns.

Putting together a pattern is a step by step process, but designing is not. It’s artistic and intuitive.  Even so, there are some basic techniques that stay the same every time you start a new pattern.

The absolute best advice I can give you is practice, practice, practice!

This is how I do it. In the next two videos, I’ll walk you through, step-by-step, my own process. Both videos are real time.

Part 1 of 2

Part 2 of 2

If you make any pattern, craft or recipe from sewhooked, I’d love to see a photo. Email me or add it to the sewhooked flickr group.

Happy crafting!

1. May 12, 2009 10:58

So interesting, and useful! Thanks for sharing.

2. Ana Lopes permalink
    May 19, 2009 18:57

Excellent instruction’s,Thank you so much for taking the time to show us all how do design patterns. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Thank you.
    Ana

• May 19, 2009 20:20

It’s my pleasure! I know that there are things others would like to see in a block that I would never think of. If I can be of any help, that makes the effort worth while!

• Ana Lopes permalink
        May 20, 2009 06:53

I don’t know if you thought of this one.
        I have seen arrows on some other patterns to indicate where to join the pieces to match in the right area’s. That helps the pattern to be as straight as possible. Have you ever put arrows in your patterns before you separate them when your designing them?
        Ana

• May 21, 2009 19:20

I did use registration marks when I first started, but then I discovered that if I use a straight pin to align the corners, I didn’t need to. Here’s a photo to show you how I line up my patterns.

3. February 12, 2010 10:27

Thanks Jennifer, I wanted to learn this from a long time ago!!!!

4. Wulfae permalink
    April 25, 2011 16:25

Thank you for the tutorial! This was exactly what I was looking for, it’s the only thing I’ve found about actually designing your own patterns.

5. May 25, 2011 17:11

Thanks for this! SchenleyP on flickr just sent me over, great videos!

6. April 7, 2012 07:03

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I enjoy paper piecing – now I would love to try and design one myself! I am on a mac computer. I’m wondering if you would recommend a different program to use on a mac.

Thanks for all your help and great paper pieced blocks!

7. Nima permalink
    July 1, 2012 06:02

8. July 20, 2012 07:57

I am having a hard time numbering my designs, do you have a specific method you use? I see with the simple heart how you did it, but what about more complicated designs? Thanks

• July 20, 2012 09:04

The best advice I can give you is practice. It became intuitive for me the longer I did it. Also, look at other patterns to see how they’re numbered, that can help a lot, too!

9. September 6, 2012 08:25

Brilliant! I can’t wait to try it myself. Thank you so much for sharing!