Posts on this blog post contain affiliate links. Thank you for your support. ♥
Welcome back to our Paper Piecing Vintage Quilt Along (#PPV2017)!
April is a special month and I want to share these reminders before we move on to today’s Paper Piecing Vintage block.
April is my birthday month and you’re invited help me celebrate by participating in the 3rd Annual Fat Quarter Lotto. It’s super easy – send up to four fat quarters, I’ll draw a winner* “live” on Talk to Me Tuesday on April 25.
It’s free to play. I am self-disqualified from playing. This is my way to say Thank You for another fun year of sharing!
*1 winner per 50 fat quarters!
All entries must be received by April 24, 2017.
Are you quilting along with Paper Piecing Vintage? Share a Signature Block for the PPV Signature Quilt! This special project is a for a commemorative signature quilt that I will keep after Paper Piecing Vintage has concluded. Find this block on page 21 of Paper Piecing Vintage. If you’re only making a few blocks, you can also find the Signature Block Pattern right here.
(Save on postage and mail with your Fat Quarter Lotto!)
And now, on to the next block!
A reminder of how this works:
PPV was my 2014 Block of the Month. This project was inspired by old-fashioned, hand-pieced quilt blocks. Because I LOVE paper piecing, I couldn’t help but create my own versions of traditional patterns I love using my favorite technique.
Quilting along with us is easy! The Paper Piecing Vintage quilt pattern already exists, so you don’t have to anxiously await each pattern to be released.
We’re making this quilt together, one block at a time, as a group. We’ll be making two blocks a month. I’ll prompt you on the second and fourth Monday to remind you which block to work on next. With a little work and a little luck, we’ll have a finished quilt top by the end of June!
Individual blocks now available by popular demand: If you want to make just one or two blocks from the set, I am releasing these patterns individually as we go. (Link to purchase Block 7 below.)
The following is the July 2014 block (Block 7 for us) made for my 1930’s vintage fabric-inspired version of this quilt (above).
All patterns for PPV are 6″ & 12″ (w/o seam allowance). The size you make is up to you.
The vintage version (above) is from my 2014 PPV.
My 2017 PPV Halloween Quilt Block
I continue to have a fantastic time choosing fabrics for my Halloween version of PPV. I love the combination of these fun lime jack-o-lanterns with the wonky swirls!
This is my color inspiration, created in EQ (subject to change as I quilt along!).
Since I’m using a lot of Halloween scraps, I’m also cutting the piano keys as I go from the leftover fabrics from each block. It will be a huge time saver at the end!
If you’d like to do a little planning, too, there is a coloring page included in the complete pattern on page 64.
Get the complete Paper Piecing Vintage pattern for $10 from…
What do you get for your $10?
- Updated for 2017
- 12 vintage-inspired block of the month designs (6″ & 12″ paper pieced patterns included)
- piecing instructions for each block
- 3 bonus patterns (2 available only in the set!)
- layout instructions for two quilt sizes using all 12 blocks (in either 6″ or 12″)
- Bonus instructions for the optional piano key border (shown).
- 12″ blocks with 2″ sashing – 44″ x 58″ (with bonus border – 56″ x 70″)
- 6″ blocks with 2″ sashing – 26″ x 34″ (with bonus border – 32″ x 40″)
Fabric Amounts needed for this project (this information is also in the BOM pattern):
For 12″ blocks:
- 1 1/2 yards Background Fabric
- 1 1/4 yards Color 1 Fabric
- 1 1/4″ yards Color 2 Fabric
- 1 1/2 yards Sashing Fabric (for 2″ sashing), optional
- 1 1/3 yards (total) of multiple fabrics for optional piano key border (divide the amount across the number of fabrics you wish to use)
For 6″ blocks:
- 3/4 yards Background Fabric
- 1/2 yard Color 1 Fabric
- 1/2 yard Color 2 Fabric
- 1/2 yard Sashing fabric (for 2″ sashing), optional
- 3/4 yards (total) of multiple fabrics for optional piano key border (divide the amount across the number of fabrics you wish to use)
Want to connect with other quilters working on Paper Piecing Vintage? Join the Sewhooked Facebook Group for community, support & prizes! I’ll be there, as will my awesome pattern tester Amber and many friends of Sewhooked. We’ll answer your questions and nudge you along if you need it. Joining the group is not required to quilt along.
Would you for future Events like Paper Piecing Vintage to be absolutely free? Become a Patreon Patron and help me bring more free content to all our online quilting community!
I’ll see you tomorrow for Talk to Me Tuesday!