Posts on this blog post contain affiliate links. Thank you for your support. ♥
Welcome to the first post for the Paper Piecing Vintage Quilt Along (#PPV2017)!
A little explanation before we begin…
PPV was my 2014 Block of the Month. This project was inspired by old-fashioned, hand-pieced quilt blocks. Because I LOVE paper piecing, I couldn’t help but create my own versions of traditional patterns I love using my favorite technique.
Quilting along with us is easy! The Paper Piecing Vintage quilt pattern already exists, so you don’t have to anxiously await each pattern to be released.
We’re making this quilt together, one block at a time, as a group. We’ll be making two blocks a month. I’ll prompt you on the second and fourth Monday to remind you which block to work on next. With a little work and a little luck, we’ll have a finished quilt top by the end of June!
Get the completed quilt pattern (more info below) from CRAFTSY or ETSY for $10 (previously $12). If you already own this pattern, you are ready to go!
Want to connect with other quilters working on Paper Piecing Vintage? Join the Sewhooked Facebook Group for community, support & prizes! I’ll be there, as will my awesome pattern tester Amber and many friends of Sewhooked. We’ll answer your questions and nudge you along if you need it. Joining the group is not required to quilt along.
Find all posts on Sewhooked about PPV 2017
You’ve asked, and it’s happening…if you want to make just one or two blocks from the set, I will be releasing these patterns individually as we go. (Link to purchase Block 1 below.)
The following is the January block (Block 1) made for my 1930’s vintage fabric-inspired version of this quilt (above). I used reproduction vintage fabrics on a solid white background. It was a lot of fun to make and this is still one of my favorite quilts!
See a video about the original PPV!
Today’s pattern, Block 1, is The King’s Crows. You can find it beginning on page 4 in Paper Piecing Vintage, or you can purchase JUST this block pattern here.
All patterns for PPV are 6″ & 12″ (w/o seam allowance). The size you make is up to you.
Since I’d done a vintage version, this year I wanted to do something a little different…
My 2017 PPV quilt will be Halloween themed!
I’m more than a little excited about this! I’ve been collecting Halloween bits and pieces for years and had planned to start a Halloween quilt in 2016. To make a very long story short, I had surgery last year and it pushed the Halloween quilt right off the To Do list. I already knew I wanted to revisit PPV this year (lots of you have asked for it!), so it only made sense to combine the two projects and create a fun, whimsical version for my Halloween-loving self!
This is my color guide, created in EQ (subject to change as I quilt along!). If you’d like to do a little planning, too, there is a coloring page included in the complete pattern on page 64.
Get the complete Paper Piecing Vintage pattern for $10 from…
CRAFTSY or ETSY
Find all posts on Sewhooked about PPV 2017
What do you get for your $10?
- Updated for 2017
- 12 vintage-inspired block of the month designs (6″ & 12″ paper pieced patterns included)
- piecing instructions for each block
- 3 bonus patterns (2 available only in the set!)
- layout instructions for two quilt sizes using all 12 blocks (in either 6″ or 12″)
- Bonus instructions for the optional piano key border (shown).
- 12″ blocks with 2″ sashing – 44″ x 58″ (with bonus border – 56″ x 70″)
- 6″ blocks with 2″ sashing – 26″ x 34″ (with bonus border – 32″ x 40″)
Fabric Amounts needed for this project (this information is also in the BOM pattern):
For 12″ blocks:
- 1 1/2 yards Background Fabric
- 1 1/4 yards Color 1 Fabric
- 1 1/4″ yards Color 2 Fabric
- 1 1/2 yards Sashing Fabric (for 2″ sashing), optional
- 1 1/3 yards (total) of multiple fabrics for optional piano key border (divide the amount across the number of fabrics you wish to use)
For 6″ blocks:
- 3/4 yards Background Fabric
- 1/2 yard Color 1 Fabric
- 1/2 yard Color 2 Fabric
- 1/2 yard Sashing fabric (for 2″ sashing), optional
- 3/4 yards (total) of multiple fabrics for optional piano key border (divide the amount across the number of fabrics you wish to use)
Join the Sewhooked Facebook Group for community, support & prizes!
Happy sewing! Let me know how it goes for you and I’ll see you tomorrow for Talk to Me Tuesday!